Ah, Africa. If nothing else, you learn flexibility! We planned for 160 kids to be at our carepoint, but when we began handing out crafts the first day, we ran out when we reached 200! We are leading VBS in the morning with preschoolers, and again in the afternoon with the elementary kids. There were around 170 kids in the afternoon alone! We got through the first day, quickly re-worked our plans for the next two days, and came up with a new plan. It feels like we are constantly coming up with a new plan for one thing or another. But it's so fun, and the entire team is extremely flexible, so we are just going with the flow!
Today, we had a birthday celebration for all of the kids. We had a blow up jump house, a parachute, donuts, and goody bags for every child. The kids even got meat with their lunch, a very special treat. It was so fun to hear the entire hall echo with the kids singing "Happy Birthday, to ME!" And to see the kids head home, over the hills and far away, with their goody bags slung over their shoulders, was great!
I got to spend time with our sponsor child, Nosipho, today. She is a very outgoing, fun-loving, silly little girl. I showed her pictures of our kids, and she was interested to see Maddie, who is the same age as her. I gave her cards that the kids had made and a family picture and told her that we pray for her every day.
The couple that live here full time and work with Adventures in Missions are amazing people. Kriek and Jumbo are from South Africa and have been working here with the Swazis for several years. They have so much work to do, and are all on their own. They have amazing patience and perseverence. I don't know how they are able to face the tragedies that they do on a daily basis, and not become either hard-hearted, or completely give up out of devestation. Yesterday, a gogo (grandmother) found twin 3-yr-old girls alone at their homestead that had been burned in a cooking fire. We don't know how long they had been there. What were 3 yr olds doing alone in a home with boing water??? They were treated at the hospital and sent home.
Nate is doing great here. We went to an orphanage a couple times (the only government run orphanage in all of Swaziland, awful conditions), and Nate's heart was broken over these kids. He played with a 12-yr-old that has only been there a few days, and Nate decided we should adopt Sekile. I wish we could. There is so little hope for these kids. Yesterday, Nate spent the day helping me with VBS. Today, he helped John build picnic tables for the carepoint. I think he needed a break from the kids climbing all over him.
I have tried to upload pictures, but the connection is too slow. I guess you'll have to wait until I get home to see the beautiful Swazi faces....
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
update from africa
Posted by laura at 12:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Love your updates. What challanges you are facing moment by moment. We do need to have our hearts broken by the things that break the heart of God. We're praying--also our Pastor Jim and Kathy who sent you a gift of money--we prayed together this AM I continue to. How we love you!
The experience you two are having overwhelms me; you will always hold these people in your hearts. Embrace this time and come back to us safely.
We love you,
Mom & Dad
So happy to hear from you and read your thoughts so far. I know there will be much processing to be done when you return, and I am more than willing and able to be one of your process-ees.
We had fun with the kiddos. You continue to be on my heart and in my prayers. Especially for His grace and strength to fill you each day. Love ya!
Hi Laura,
It was so good to read your update. I have been keeping up with Mike but it was good to hear your perspective. I am interceding for the team each night as you begin a new day. I will continue to pray for supernatural strength, energy and joy! You are doing an amazing work and we are so proud of you. Much love and prayer!JM
Post a Comment