Wednesday, October 5, 2011

penguins and perspective

Maddie is in sixth grade. This is our last year with a child in elementary school, and I can hardly believe it. With each field trip, each special project, I am reminded that this is the last time. The last time of chaperoning a trip to the Denver Aquarium. The last time to sell Entertainment books (not too sad about that one...). The last time to paper mache a marine mammal. So many times in the past I have let these project stress me out, instead of letting them be the fun, creative experiences they are meant to be. I get irritated that I have to be involved in their homework when I have other things I want to do.

It's different when it's the last time. You learn to take it all in. You learn that you can't come this way again. The last times really are the last time. Funny how that realization brings perspective. Makes you realize how much joy there is in these every day moments. Somehow, the stress completely disappears.

You soak it in. You are present. Really present. And you thank God for giving you this moment.

Maddie chose to make an Adelie Penguin. And, guess what? We had fun doing it together.

I want to remember that each moment with my kids is the last time for that moment. I can never come this way again.

1 comments:

sandy said...

Great looking penguin! Good job Maddie & Laura! Love you guys so much.