Wednesday, July 22, 2009

summer camp

First off, I'd like to begin this blog with a sincere apology to my mother. You see, my mom is a dedicated reader of this blog, and she gets very irritated when I do not post for days on end, let alone weeks on end. So, Mom, I am sorry. I think I needed a bit of a blogging hiatus after the craziness of this spring and summer, and I will attempt to re-enter the blogging world and do a better job of keeping the pictures of your grandchildren coming on a regular basis. Your loving daughter, Laura.

OK, with that out of the way, I am happy to report that I am childless this week! For the first time ever, we have taken ALL FOUR of our children to camp. On Sunday afternoon, we took our younguns to the hills, dropped them off, and haven't looked back. That's not to say we haven't thought about them, prayed for them, and even missed them a bit. But, Bob and I have thoroughly enjoyed our week of empty nesting! We have biked, hiked, talked, eaten, laughed, and, um, other stuff. It has been WONDERFUL to reconnect and realize, Hey, we really do love spending time together! We really are best friends! I recommend camp to all parents.

N and C were super excited to head off the Eagle Lake again this summer. They are in different cabins for the first time, and were both looking forward to a bit of independence and the chance to get to know new kids.


M and M went to Camp Elim with the 4th and 5th grade group from church. They weren't sure what to expect, as we have never been to Camp Elim before, but we were all super stoked to see what wonderful facilities they have, and by the time we left, M and M were practically pushing us out the door. Bob and I are going camping tomorrow, just the two of us! First time since our newlywed days! We will pick N and C up from camp Friday morning to join us, then we pick up M and M on Saturday morning. Keep them all in your prayers these last couple of days of camp. We are praying that God will use this week to draw each of their heart closer to Him!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

yea for a new post! so what was the "other stuff"???

sandy said...

True, I have missed your blogs even though we are on the phone often. Guess what I've really missed is pictures of the kids.

Glad this week has given you a taste of what "empty nester" might some day feel like; actually your dad and I really enjoy it! But, man, where did the time go, and who is that elderly woman in the mirror?

Keep the blogs coming,
Mom

judi-mom said...

So glad to hear that the kids had a great camping experience. I haven't had much access to wifi for a few weeks, so I'm delighted to be connected again. I remember our first time of sending both kids to camp together. Yes! We enjoyed reconnected with each other and "other stuff" also!