Tuesday, November 16, 2010

playing hookie

We have a tradition around here. Each fall semester, I surprise each of the kids on any given day with an unexpected day off from school. They never know when it's coming, they can't ask when it will be their turn...you know, like a thief in the night! And on that day, it's all about that particular child. No agenda. No cell phone. No errands.

Only that child exists.

Yesterday was Micah's day.

It was actually a bit of a surprise to me, too! I had it on my radar that I would be taking Micah sometime this week, possibly Thursday. But then my schedule opened up yesterday, and I thought, "What the heck?"

So, I told Micah to change from his uniform clothes and put on play clothes. Today was HIS day!

We decided to hop in the car and drive to Denver, with the hope of making it to Krispie Kream while the "Hot" sign was still shining brightly. Unfortunately, the snow began to fly, blizzard conditions appeared, and just as we were climbing Monument Hill, the radio crackled something about a 40-car pile-up just north of Monument Hill. So, we quickly jumped off the interstate while we still could, and headed back to Colorado Springs!

We opted for Panera. Not as tantalizing as Krispie Kream, but we made due.

You know, you learn so much about your child when you take the time to BE with them. Just listen. Watch. Soak in "him." One thing that is interesting about Micah is that he wants so badly to do what he wants to do, until it's time for him to dictate for himself. Then he doesn't care.

"So, Micah, it's totally up to you. What do you want to do today?"

"I don't know. It really doesn't matter."

"Hmmmmm, how about Option A? Or B? Or we could do C and D? What do you think?"

"I don't know. You decide."

We had conversations yesterday about making decisions and being a leader. Good conversations. And he started making decisions.

And you know what my boy wanted to do? Go home. Yep, we headed home on that cold, snowy morning, put on our jammies, and played the Wii. We laughed and talked and sat side by side under a shared blanket.

Then we got dressed again and headed to Starbucks for a couple of Salted Caramel Hot Chocolates. Oh my. Decadent.

With hot chocolate in hand, we headed to the Christian bookstore. Because my son wanted to buy a Bible for his best friend for Christmas. This friend has begun coming to church with Micah every week, and Micah prays for him every night. And God is moving through those prayers. Micah's friend went with him this past weekend on the middle school retreat, and borrowed a Bible from a leader. I don't know all that transpired, but I know God moved in amazing ways, and I know Micah's friend is beginning to desire God. And worship. And we are praying hard for him and his family. And Micah is giving him a Bible for Christmas.


I love this boy.

I want to be more like him.

2 comments:

sandy said...

Micah is indeed special in so many ways! Wish I had thought of this tradition when you guys were young.

Laura said...

That sounds awesome!! So glad you missed that car pile-up. Can you imagine if you had to sit there all day on his day?

This is such a great idea to do with your kids.