Valentine's Day is one of my favorite days for family traditions. I'm not even sure when our traditions began, they just seemed to happen organically. One year, the kids said, "We always...(fill in the blank)...on Valentine's Day." And, thus, the traditions were set.
One of the things we "always" do is our special family breakfast. I wait until the kids are in bed the night before, then set to work on decorating the table. As the kids have gotten older (and stay up LATER), this has gotten more challenging. And, actually, I'm not sure I'd do it anymore, but Maddie LOVES coming down to the excitement of the decorated table, I love it, too, so the tradition continues. Can I just say, I am sooooooo thankful for Maddie? The boys don't get into our traditions like they used to (unless, of course, food is involved!). I believe at some point they will care again (wishful thinking???), but for now, Maddie and I enjoy it together, and the boys appease us.
I should make a side note here and let you know that Valentine's Day this year came on February 13th for our family. With working at the church, Sundays are early mornings around here, so I decided to not even try to do all of this on Sunday. I think we all enjoyed our lazy morning much more than trying to rush it all before church.
So, along with the decorated table, the kids each get a Valentine from God (a verse about how much God loves us, personalized to each of the kids, signed, "I love you, God." From Mom and Dad, they get a small box of chocolates. And I make heart-shaped oatmeal pancakes with strawberries on top. Every year. Always.
But, we love each other. As best we can. And I will continue to do everything I can to build that love. That's why I love traditions.

2 comments:
What a wonderful tradition Laura! I really like those ideas. The pics are super cute too!
What great traditions! and you are such purposeful parents! i love the way you weave God's perfect love into the morning.
Post a Comment