The wind has been blowing around here the last few days. Fall is in the air. We have had record high temperatures, but still, somehow, you can still feel it. The leaves are beginning to hint at yellows and oranges and reds. I absolutely LOVE this time of year. Hands down my very favorite season. I could break out into Mandy's "Welcome Fall" song right now! I love the changes that the season brings. The end of the lazy summer days, but not quite winter, yet. Fall is transition.
That's where I feel my life is, once again. Transition. I've been here before. Many times. Transitioning into married life. Transitioning into motherhood. Transitioning into mom of school-age kids (harder transition than I expected, btw!). Now, here I am again. Transitioning into mom of teenagers! Gulp.
How did I get here?? I mean, really! Teenagers? High School?! I swear to you I just graduated from high school about 10 years ago at best. I remember high school so clearly, so that must mean it wasn't very long ago. And if I can remember it so clearly, then there is no way I can have a child of my own in high school!
But, alas, it's true. Somehow, some way, my children are growing up. Nate is now driving (btw, I am so thankful for the new driving laws that require my children to drive with a permit for a full year before receiving their license. Not because I don't trust Nate's driving, but because it requires ME to be in the seat next to him for a full year before he drives away without me. I am cherishing the time I have with him in the car!), homecoming is this week, and the school is already sending information home about preparing for college!
I am coming to the realization that my children will be leaving me. It's something I've always known, back in the recesses of my brain, but now it is on the horizon. And it makes me wonder. How have I done? How am I doing? Will they be ready? Will they fight the good fight, run the race, live lives radically abandoned to their Father? That's all I really care about. And I'm afraid I haven't given them a very good example. But, I pray fervently that they will run farther, pray harder, live larger than I ever have. And I trust that God's grace will cover over my multitude of mistakes, let-downs, and failures.
And I praise God I'm not done, yet! I will continue to guide, love, and cherish my kids every day that I have breath. What an unbelievable privilege it is to raise children and to watch them grow in their relationships with Christ. Nothing like it. Nothing.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
the winds of change
Posted by laura at 11:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
"and we'll all drink apple cider welcome fall"
Post a Comment