Sunday, January 6, 2008

Journey of Prayer


I'm on this journey, and I'm not sure where it will take me. God has begun to speak quietly to me about my prayer life (or lack, thereof). I have always prayed, but thought true intercession was for those gifted in that area, which I obviously am not. Sure, I pray for my family and friends, ask God for help in my own life, and tell Him how great He is. But, as I watch others around me, you know, those that are really tight with God, I see their determination, their power, the FAITH in their words. I know there is something different there, something I long for in my prayer life. For the first time, I truly long for a prayer life. I long to pray with power, believing, KNOWING, that God can and will move mountains because of MY prayers! Wow! So, I have begun this journey, determined to learn how to pray. I have been reading E.M. Bounds works on prayer, and I am being transformed. Bounds lived during the Civil War, and I am blown away by his teachings. I highly recommend his books (often sold in a complete set), and I will share tidbits that I glean from him along the way. Here's a taste...

"The man is the most immortal who has done the most and best praying. They are God's heroes, God's saints, God's servants, God's deputies. A man can pray better because of the prayers of the past; a man can live holier because of the prayers of the past, the man of many and acceptable prayers has done the truest and greatest service to the incoming generation. The prayers of God's saints strengthen the unborn generation against the desolating waves of sin and evil. Woe to the generation of sons who find their censers empty of the rich incense of prayer; whose fathers have been too busy or too unbelieving to pray, and perils inexpressible and consequences untold are their unhappy heritage. Fortunate are they whose fathers and mothers have left them a wealthy patrimony of prayer." (from the book, "Purpose in Prayer")

So, moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas, uncles and aunts, are we pouring the foundation for the kids in our lives to pray better, to live holier lives, by our prayers today? That is my heart's desire as a mom...

1 comments:

ayates said...

I admire you for doing this. I will look forward to hearing more about your journey.