Monday, July 18, 2011

sniff, sniff

Our last day in Hawaii. When we awoke in the morning, the weather fit our mood. Overcast, dreary, the blue sky and sun of previous days were nowhere in sight.
After packing up and saying good-bye to our wonderful condo in Princeville, we set out for our last few hours on Kauai. Our flight wasn't until 9:00 p.m., so we had all day to enjoy taking in everything we could. The clouds cleared, the sun shone, but the wind persisted. The forecast was for high surf warnings, so the surfers were out in force. We stopped by one beach and watched them for a while.

Before long, it was time to eat, and we hit a fabulous little BBQ spot called Scotty's Beachside BBQ. So yummy! Wish we had discovered it sooner so we could've gotten more than one meal in at that place. They had this cool set-up with garage doors that faced the shore, and every seat in the place had an amazing view of the beach.

Bob waits patiently for his BBQ on the deck at Scotty's

We took our food to go, which was probably a mistake. Eating sloppy BBQ in the car is an interesting task!
Off again, this time to one last visit to, yep, Lappert's Ice Cream.
We strolled along the boardwalk in Poi'pu and did some window shopping.
And one last stop at Poi'pu beach. Didn't have time for a swim, but happened upon this big guy cooling off in the sand. Bob estimated that he weighed around 300 pounds! I was really hoping to see him shuffle his way back to sea, but he was pretty content where he was. Hmmmm. So was I.
On our way back toward Lihue and the airport, we took some back roads and discovered some more amazing vistas. This is an ancient fish pond that legend says was built by the Menehune (basically, Hawaii's version of the leprechaun).
Our last stop was the Marriott resort in Lihue. I laughed at this sign on the beach. So thankful the coconut wasn't gone!
I haven't been able to upload videos for some reason, and I really wish I could here. As we walked the beach, we heard drums playing at the far end. We walked to that area and came upon what I guess was a dance troupe for young kids through teens, and they performed traditional Hawaiian dances. There weren't very many people around, so we got a great view of the performance right on the beach. It was such a fantastic way to end our time on Kauai.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end. It was a strange feeling to know it was time to head for the airport and leave this amazing island, when everything in me wanted to figure out a way to stay! If only someone in Colorado Springs could've put my kids on a plane headed for Kauai, everything would've been perfect. But, instead, Bob and I reluctantly waved good-bye to all that is Hawaii as we lifted off the ground. There is a good chance we will never be back. The thought makes me sad. But, oh so thankful! Thankful for the 10 days we were there. Thankful for a time of rest. Thankful for the opportunity to see more of my Creator and to give praise back to Him.
And thankful for this...Spent with this man...

This time on Kauai was fabulous for so many reasons, but the greatest was the realization that, yes, I do love my husband more today than I have ever before. I love the way he loves me, anticipates my needs and meets them before I know I have the need. The way he rubs my feet when I am tired, and the way I fit so perfectly in his arms. I love being fully known by him, and that there is no fear in that. And I love that we have so much FUN together. Our kids will be leaving home before long. Seven years is a very short time. This week has shown me that when the day comes, we will shed tears together, remember together, and laugh together.

And then, he will grab my hand, and we will walk together. Forward. Toward our next adventure. Hand-in-hand. Always.

4 comments:

sandy said...

Beautiful post; made me cry. God bless you and Bob!

Mama Vincent said...

Beautiful Laura...may God bless your next 20 years.

Mandy said...

this made me cry! i'm so glad you guys had this time together! love you!

Daron said...

Beautiful post, Laura. Brought tears to my eyes:). Glad you had fun.

Tari